New Year, New Heater
The new year is exciting but also a great time to get a plan together for the coming year. Often there are some projects that need to be tackled that can’t be done on a whim and take some strategy. The beginning of the year is a great time to set big projects as a goal for the coming year.
One particular project that needs some forethought is heater replacement in the home. Luckily, being reminded early in the year gives homeowners plenty of time to start making preparations for upgrading the heater. Here is some advice for homeowners considering a heater replacement and how to tell when it is necessary.
Signs That Heater Replacement is Needed
Deciding to plan for heater installation this year isn’t a thing that any homeowner plans to do without justification. Common signs that it is time for a heater replacement are:
- The current unit is more than 15 years old
- Utility bills are climbing from loss of efficiency
- The heater runs for too long or short of cycles
- The heating in the house is uneven
- The unit has required numerous repairs over the last few seasons
Any of these signs can signal that heater replacement is necessary. The more signs that are present, the more urgent the situation is. Homeowners should be able to make an informed decision with this knowledge regarding their heater and when to get it replaced.
Picking the Right Heating System for a Home
To make the right decision on what type of heating system to install when heater replacement is needed, homeowners must first know their options. The three main options for heating a home are:
- Boilers: Boilers use a fuel source, such as oil or gas, to heat water or steam. This heated water or steam is then circulated through radiators or baseboard heaters to warm the living space.
- Furnaces: Furnaces work by burning natural gas, propane, or fuel oil to generate heat. The generated heat is then circulated throughout the building using a fan and ductwork system.
- Heat Pumps: Heat pumps work similarly to air conditioners in that they use electricity to transfer heat from one area to another. They can be used to both cool and heat a living space, depending on the season. However, there may be better options for colder climates.
Remember Heater Maintenance for Every Heater
All three systems require regular maintenance and inspection to ensure that they run safely and efficiently. Regardless of the style of a heater or its age, heater maintenance is essential to ensuring the heater stays reliable. Benefits of routine maintenance include better efficiency, lower heating costs, fewer repairs, and a longer lifespan.
Scheduling heater maintenance in the fall can ensure that the unit saves money and won’t fail when the family needs it most. Conversely, some of the dangers that go along with neglecting heating maintenance are:
- Higher utility bills
- Discomfort in the home
- Poor indoor air quality
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
About Warhold Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning
Warhold Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning is a family-owned business serving Greensburg, PA residents, and the surrounding areas. They provide competitive prices, personalized options, and prompt arrivals. Call them today for heater installation and replacement in Greensburg, PA.
Distribution Links +